For McCool Travel’s 87th travel profile, I am pleased to present Wayne Dunlap. Wayne and his wife Pat are award-winning travel authors and photographers, speak at travel shows, and have a massive social media following. They rented their home in order to travel the world for three years. I am honored that Wayne took a few minutes to share some travel memories and tips. Please visit his website, UnhookNow, for more travel tips and write-ups about destinations.
“Wayne and Pat Dunlap are award-winning travel photojournalists and have visited 100 countries on 6 continents as well as 44 U.S. states. They were chosen as TripAdvisor: Top 25 Travel Blogger to Follow 2014 as well as other awards: Top Travel Blogger 2013 and Best Boomer Travel Bloggers to Follow. Articles about them appeared in Wall Street Journal, U.S. News & World Report, ABC News, & many others. The Dunlaps are active speakers with presentations at large travel shows such as the Travel & Adventure Show (the #1 series of travel shows in the U.S.), San Francisco Travel Show, and The Philadelphia Inquirer Travel Show. Wayne is author of the 5-star rated travel book Plan Your Escape®, Secrets of Traveling the World for Less Than the Cost of Living at Home and is a travel columnist for the Huffington Post. The Dunlaps were TV hosts of the travel show Plan Your Escape® which aired on CW network.”
San Diego, California
Always in my luggage…
- as little as possible saying we will “look the same a lot”
- day pack to carry items for the day so we don’t have to go back to the hotel (good for use as carry-on bag)
- travel cards to hand out so we stay connected with new friends we meet along the way
- compact hooded travel poncho so rainy days don’t spoil your day
- silk long thermal underwear – always warm on cold days without the need for heavy bulky coats
- electrical three-way plug because you always have many things to charge
3 favorite home-away-from-home places…
- Greek Islands
- Mexico beaches
- many places in beautiful California
A favorite travel memory is…
- riding an elephant in Thailand by ourselves without a driver
- alms giving in Luang Prabang, Laos
- hiking Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand
3 favorite travel brands…
3 money-saving travel tactics I use are…
- travel off season and consider staying in hostels and local hotels
- “Follow the Disaster” – great deals available to countries sometimes long after unexpected tragedies have occurred
- renting or exchanging your home
3 ways that I have fun while traveling are…
- stay in local hotels and eat in local restaurants for better prices and more unique local travel experience
- include less expensive but interesting smaller cities and towns
- get to know locals and other travelers. Enjoy experiences with them and the fun places they suggest in addition to expensive tourist attractions.
8 word (or less) travel mantra…
“The world is a wonderful place – enjoy it and learn more about yourself”
Favorite non-travel website …
Google and Facebook
Most memorable souvenir …
we take home great photos and memories and less souvenirs
Favorite cheap eat …
Recent discovery …
the sharing economy (ex: Uber instead of taxis)
I am fortunate to have met …
so many people all around the world who have made my life better
I would like to meet …
all those who see our wonderful world as their playground
Thank you very much, Wayne, for taking the time to share your travel inspiration and tips.
Follow Wayne Dunlap on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and UnhookNow.
Check out McCool Travel’s previous profiles. McCool Travel presents tips from travel experts in our 5 Minutes interview series—featuring travel industry giants, super frequent travelers, and adventurous persons. Previous 5 Minutes post: Sherry Ott.
Follow McCool Travel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, and LinkedIn.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
16 thoughts on “5 Minutes With Wayne Dunlap”
Nice interview and like Wayne, we also get our greatest pleasure from meeting local people, eating local food and taking in the atmosphere.
Thank you for the note, Paula. Similar travel philosophies, huh?
Hello Paula, thank you for your comment. It is the wonderful people of the world that makes travel so rewarding… Wayne
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading about the many different ways Boomers travel. We’re heading to Europe in December. I’ll have to check out the long silk underwear tip. 😉
Once upon a time, I traveled with long silk underwear (from LL Bean, I think). Great for camping.
Hello Suzanne, love to hear that you are traveling to Europe – one of the best places in the world. Hope you enjoy it…. Wayne
Thanks for the post about Wayne. I love to travel, and so I always love reading about fellow travellers. We are cut from the same cloth, as I feel like a bird whose wings have been clipped when I am unable to travel.
Fly, birdie, fly. Thank you, Doreen.
Doreen, nice comment… my wife tells me she feels like a puppy dog wagging her tail when I mention an idea about a new trip. Please stay in touch about your travels… Wayne
Interesting interview with Wayne Dunlap. Now if he can only explain to me why he likes Uber so much. I used it recently in NYC and found the charge to be higher than it would have been if I’d hired a car, leaving me not a fan.
Thanks, Carole. I have not tried Uber so cannot vouch either way.
Hello Carole, thank you for your comment. We have found Uber to less expensive than taxis and talked to others who have had the same experience. Not sure what happened in NYC. Good luck in all your travels… Wayne
I always enjoy reading about other traveler’s experiences and tips. I dream about riding an elephant in Thailand (someday) and love Wayne’s travel mantra! A very interesting interview. Anita
Thank you, Anita.. hope you get to ride an elephant Wayne
Great interview! I’m a huge fan of the long silk underwear too. I also enjoyed Wayne’s tips for packing. He’s been to some terrific places.
Thank you for the note, Sue!
Comments are closed.