Nita Gulati is another intrepid traveler I met through Twitter chats. She has a quick wit but her passion for Thai food is infectious. I am happy to announce that Nita Gulati is the first McCool Travel profile of someone NOT from the Western hemisphere. All previous profiles were people from USA and Europe. Hooray.
“I’m Nita Gulati, a food junkie and a non-recovering travelholic living in Thailand. Always on a lookout for new experiences and exciting places to visit, Spilling the Beans, is where I share stories, experiences and photos of my journey through the intriguing world (make it galaxy) of food and travel.”
Born in Bangkok. Now living in Pattaya, Thailand.
Always in my luggage…
- My iPhone – On one little device I get to capture moments on camera, take notes and keep track of things I see or learn, keep in touch with family, easily access travel information and tips, plus make hotel and flight booking and amendments – Everything is literally at my fingertips!
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Hand sanitizer
3 favorite home-away-from-home places…
- Bangkok – Because I grew up there.
- Srinagar, Kashmir – There’s something about this place that warms my heart whenever I think about it.
- London – It feels so comfortable.
A favorite travel memory is…
I am blessed to have so many, but the most recent that comes to mind is getting to see icebergs up close and being in complete awe at Jokulsarlon, the glacier lagoon in Iceland.
3 favorite travel brands…
- Club Carlson – Great service and loyalty program
- Skyscanner – Flight comparison heaven
- Eurail – Love the scenic train rides!
3 money-saving travel tactics I use are…
- Research accommodation and transportation well in advance. Check and compare between various booking engines as well as with the hotel or airline directly.
- Be flexible with dates. Sometimes even a day makes a difference in terms of room rate or airfare.
- Try to visit somewhere off-peak – Less crowds and less expensive.
3 ways that I have fun while traveling are…
- Finding scenic spots to take in the view.
- Exploring cities on foot.
- Trying local food (and drinks).
8 word (or less) travel mantra…
Travel is subjective; do what feels right.
My favorite non-travel website…
most memorable souvenir …
It’s usually something edible or drinkable. Loved the Belgian chocolates I recently brought back as well as the teas, biscuits and jams from London. Also memorable are the Tuscan wines, Raki from Turkey, and Scotch Whisky.
favorite cheap eat …
Snacks and sandwiches from grocery stores.
I am fortunate to have met …
The best version of me—when I travel I am happiest and most myself.
I would like to meet …
Anyone! You never know who will inspire you or have a great story to tell.
Thank you, Nita, for sharing your thoughts with McCool Travel and may you have countless more memorable travel adventures!
Follow Nita Gulati on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and her blog.
Check out McCool Travel’s previous profiles.
McCool Travel presents tips from travel experts in our 5 Minutes interview series—featuring travel industry giants, super frequent travelers, and adventurous persons. Previous 5 Minutes post: Kae Lani Kennedy.