Megan Jerrard, known as Mapping Megan, has a strong following of loyal travelers (including me) on Twitter and Facebook. I am excited that she agreed to share some of her travel tips and experiences with McCool Travel readers.
“Megan Jerrardis an Australian Journalist who has been travelling and blogging around the world for the last 7 years to inspire others to embark on their own worldwide adventure. Her husband Mike is an American travel photographer, and together they have made the world their home. Meg authors Mapping Megan, an adventure travel blog which aims to give you the best tips and advice on travelling, volunteering, living, working, and holidaying abroad.”
Megan Jerrard of Mapping Megan
Always in my luggage…
- My smartphone; doubles as a calculator, camera, music, email; I can’t travel anywhere without it.
- Umbrella – great for rain and shine!
- Duct tape – the solution to any travel emergency!
3 favorite home-away-from-home places…
- San Cristobal (Galapagos Island)
A favorite travel memory is…
Wearing 5kg of clothes onto an Easyjet flight to avoid paying a ridiculous amount of money in excess baggage fees. I don’t know if it was a favorite moment, but it was definitely funny as hell!
3 favorite travel brands…
- DoubleTree by Hilton—you can’t beat those warm chocolate chip cookies at check in
- Mammut for hiking boots and outdoor equipment
- High Sierra for luggage
3 money-saving travel tactics I use are…
- Fly indirectly. Consider flights with stopovers, as these are generally always the cheaper option.
- Travel hacking—managing and signing up for credit cards to maximise points which can be used for hotel stays and flights; and
- Volunteering. A lot of the time you can turn a vacation into a volunteer trip. Volunteer placements exist all over the world and often will offer free room and board in exchange for your time.
3 ways that I have fun while traveling are…
- Exploring a city by foot
- Trying a food I haven’t tasted before
- Taking as many ridiculous photos in front of famous landmarks as possible!
8 word (or less) travel mantra…
most memorable souvenir …
My husband! I’m Australian, he’s American, we met in Africa!
favorite cheap eat …
McDonalds—it’s food you can rely on all over the world!
recent discovery …
I can no longer handle alcohol abroad. I would much rather ditch night clubs and get an early night to wake up early the next morning and get a full day discovering a new city. I guess that means I’m old!
I am fortunate to have met:
Gary Arndt—seated next to him on a plane a few years ago inspired me to start travel blogging!
I would like to meet:
Richard Branson. I just need 15 minutes to convince him I should be the first travel blogger to report from a Virgin Galactic flight to the moon!
Thank you, Megan. May you have countless more memorable travel adventures!
You can follow Megan’s journey on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, and Mapping Megan.
McCool Travel presents tips from travel experts in our 5 Minutes interview series—featuring travel industry giants, super frequent travelers, and adventurous persons. Previous 5 Minutes post: Amy Lynne Hayes.
Follow McCool Travel: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard, LinkedIn, and Bloglovin.
4 thoughts on “5 Minutes With Megan Jerrard of Mapping Megan”
Love these “5 Minutes” posts, Charles … so much fun to read, and you do a nice job of capturing the “scoop” from each interviewee!
Thank you, Susan.
Thanks Charles for featuring 5 minutes with me on your blog! Honored to be interviewed!
Thank you for participating, Megan. Loved learning more about you.
Comments are closed.